Building and Pest Inspections Sydney, Offering Professional Inspection Services

Phone: 9523 4663 and Mobile: 0450 288 005



The consultant should inspect all accessible parts of the property. These include the following areas:

• interior of the building

• exterior of the building

• roof space

• under-floor space

• roof exterior

• site.


You may also like to ask that a particular part of the property, or certain items, also be inspected, such as:

• visible signs of asbestos problems

• existence of an operable electrical safety switch

• operable smoke alarms.



The following would normally be included in a building inspection report:

• garage, carport and garden shed

• separate laundry or toilet

• small retaining walls (ie. non–structural)

• steps

• fencing

• surface water drainage

• stormwater run-off

• paths and driveways.


Make sure you specify any particular items or areas on the site that you want inspected.



The report should also include the following information:

• your name

• the address of the property to be inspected

• reason for the inspection

• the date of inspection

• the scope of the inspection

• a list of any area or item that wasn’t inspected, the reasons why it wasn’t inspected and if necessary, a recommendation for further investigation

• a summary of the overall condition of the property

• a list of any significant problems that need fixing

• if necessary, a recommendation that a further inspection or assessment be carried out by a suitably accredited specialist, e.g. pest inspector, electricity supply authority, water supply authority, structural engineer, geotechnical engineer, surveyor or solicitor.



The summary is possibly the most important part of the report. It should give you a brief summary of the major faults found in the property and its overall condition considering its age and type.



Some points we look at when inspecting a property.

Gardens close to walls of a house.

Drainage around the house, particularly if the external ground is higher or equal to the internal floor level.

Gardens do not cover vents on the outside of a house. This can lead to internal mildew attack.

Large trees whose trunks are approximately two metres from the house. Tree roots can often cause cracking of walls and driveways.

Guttering and downpipes connections. These can cause differential movement to footings if left.

Rising damp to the internal walls could be related to a more serious and costly problem with in the structure. It will cause mildew growth and flaking paintwork.

Internally we use a moisture meter to detect dampness by the appearance of black spots on walls and ceilings. Other evidence includes carpet rotting near skirting boards. This can be expensive to rectify and is usually seen in showers, laundries and kitchen areas. Freshly painted walls may be used to cover problems.

Rotting timbers under and around the shower area within the dwelling. A leaky shower could affect wall frame timbers.

We check for structural movement. An indication of this is signs of cracking in the external and internal walls, especially around cornices. Cracks around doors and windows are common and are not as serious. Binding doors may indicate structural movement we will evaluate if this is related.

We check cracks that follow the course of the brickwork and determine the nature and seriousness of the problem. The solutions can be expensive.

Note: You should get a professional pre-purchase inspection carried out on your prospective home.


Most consultants will need a minimum of 2–3 days notice to do a building inspection.

When ordering your building inspection report, make sure you give yourself enough time to make a decision. You should get the vendor’s permission to have the property inspected as early in the sale negotiations as possible. This will help you decide if the property is worth buying. There may be little point in spending money on conveyancing until you know the condition of the property.

Inspections done during the cooling–off period

When you buy a property in NSW there is a 5 business day cooling–off period after you exchange contracts. During this period, you have the option to get out of the contract as long as you give written notice. The cooling–off period starts as soon as you exchange and ends at 5 pm on the fifth business day.

A cooling–off period does not apply if you buy a property at auction or exchange contracts on the same day as the auction after it is passed in.

If you want to get a building inspection done during the cooling–off period, make sure you give the consultant as much notice as possible. They will have to do the inspection, prepare the report and still give you time to make a decision. If you decide not to buy the property you will also need time to get a letter to the vendor or their agent, saying that you are withdrawing from the contract.


| building and pest inspections | building inspections | pest inspections | other reports | termite treatment and prevention |
termite risk management | general information |